|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 10 mins|
Chili just got a major upgrade using bourbon and pulled pork together. This is the BEST CHILI I have ever made. One bowl isn't enough!
7 lbs boneless pork shoulder - cut into 6 large pieces
1 yellow onion - diced
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz can) kidney beans (no salt) - rinsed
1 (15 oz can) black beans - rinsed
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 cup bourbon
1 (12 oz) beer
2 cups marinara sauce (homemade roasted marinara sauce recipe here)
⅓ cup maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 cup BBQ sauce
½ cup hot sauce
¼ cup cajun spice rub
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sliced serrano or jalapeño peppers
Sliced cherry tomatoes
- Mix all the injection ingredients together in bowl or large pyrex measuring cup.
- First you want to inject your pork shoulder with the injection mix. Leaving half of the liquid mix for the instant pot to cook with.
- Then Rub the pork with the cajun spice thoroughly.
- Cut the shoulder into 6 - 8 large cubes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Heat your oven to 425°F and place your pork on a baking sheet and cook for 10 mins. This is a trick so you don't have to sear it in the instant pot.
- Remove pork from the oven set aside.
- Add the remaining injection mix to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the steamer rack in the IP and then add the pork on top.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn on Meat/Stew for 90 minutes. Let the steam release on its own when completed.
- Remove the pork and put in a large bowl. Add the BBQ Sauce and Hot Sauce and start mixing it into the pork until it's completely mixed and pork is shredded apart. This will add a lot of flavor to the pork. Set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat add the olive oil. Once it's heated up a bit add the diced onion and garlic and stir until softened and fragrant.
- Add all the other remaining ingredients into the pot and stir bringing it to a medium boil. Then add the pork and stir to be completely mixed together.
- Cover the pot and put on low simmer for 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Taste test it. Add more Chili Powder or Hot Sauce to kick it up a notch. Pinch of salt and pepper to your liking. Add water if you want a thinner chili.
- Serve with Cheddar Cheese , Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers, Sour Cream and Avocado