|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 5 mins||COOK TIME: 6 mins||TOTAL TIME: 11 mins|
While chestnuts definitely make me think of Christmastime, prepared chestnuts are available year-round making this Warm Chestnut-Apple Salad with Blue Cheese perfect for anytime of year. The warm, savory vinaigrette paired with sweet apples and tangy blue cheese is AMAZING.
1-2 heads butter lettuce, roughly chopped (about 8 cups, can mix with a bit of arugula or other lettuces if you prefer)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 ½ medium Gala or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½” dice
¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
½ cup prepared chestnuts (packaged or canned, already steamed and peeled)
3 tbsp plum or red wine vinegar
4 ½ tbsp walnut oil
¾ cup blue cheese
- Toss the lettuce (and arugula, if using) in a large bowl. This can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and refrigerate.
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the apples and shallots. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and continue sautéing for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the vinegar and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the walnut oil and remaining olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the warm chestnut dressing over the lettuce and toss.
- Add the blue cheese, serve, and enjoy!