|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 35 mins|
This irresistible Vegetable Casserole is a great way to showcase fresh, summer veggies! Eggplant, zucchini or squash, and potatoes are baked to perfection in a creamy tomato sauce and topped with Gruyère cheese and fresh thyme.
4 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 large eggplant)
2 cups sliced zucchini and/or yellow squash (about 2 squash)
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, plus extra for serving
1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 ¼ cup grated Gruyère cheese, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup heavy cream
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with paper towels. In a large bowl, toss the cubed eggplant with 2 tsp salt, then arrange on one of the baking sheets. Wipe out the bowl and repeat with the sliced zucchini/squash and another 2 tsp salt. Let the eggplant and squash release their liquid onto the paper towels for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Sauté the garlic, rosemary and thyme, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are reduced and slightly thickened, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant and squash to the skillet and toss to coat. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the Gruyère and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper then pour the tomato mixture into a medium baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, season the heavy cream with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Layer the potato slices over the tomato mixture, then pour the cream over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and top with the remaining ¾ cup Gruyère. Continue baking until the cheese is golden brown and potatoes are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh thyme, serve, and enjoy!