|YIELDS: 12 Servings||PREP TIME: 40 mins||COOK TIME: 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 25 mins|
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup + 3 tbsp. sugar (divided: 3/4 c, then 1/4 c for the cake + 3 tbsp. for frosting)
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs, separated
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
⅓ cup whole milk
12 oz evaporated milk
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups + a splash heavy cream
Maraschino cherries (optional garnish)
Butter, for greasing the pan
Stand mixer or hand mixer
9 x 13" baking pan
Small pitcher or bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place each in their own bowl. (TIP: Watch the video to learn how.)
- Add the egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar to the bowl of your mixer. Mix on medium-high until light and frothy.
- Turn off the mixer and add the whole milk and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the egg whites and 1/4 c of sugar to the bowl of the mixer. Mix on high until soft peaks are formed. (TIP: Watch the video to see exactly what this should look like.)
- Pour the egg white mixture into the egg yolk-flour mixture.
- Gently fold the two mixtures together, until well incorporated. (TIP: The mixture will have a gentle yellow color with a wisp of white. Do not over mix!)
- Grease the bottom and sides of your baking pan with a bit of butter. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. (TIP: To test doneness, insert a toothpick into the center and remove it. If the toothpick is clean, the cake is done. If not, bake a few minutes longer and test again.)
- When done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a rack for 30-45 minutes.
- After the cake has cooled, use a knife to loosen the edges from the pan.
- Put the cooling rack on top of the pan (like a cover) and flip the cake out. (TIP: Don't worry if it doesn't come out cleanly.)
- Gently slide the cake back into the pan, with the bottom side up.
- Use a fork to poke a lot of holes all throughout the cake. (These holes will absorb the tres leches mixture.
- Add the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk (be sure to scrape the sides of the can), and 1/2 cup heavy cream to a small pitcher or bowl and mix well.
- Slowly pour the tres leches mixture evenly over the cake. (It may splatter a little.)
- Let the cake rest for 30 mins.
- In the clean mixing bowl, add the whipping cream (1 pint + a splash) and 3 tbsp. of sugar. Slowly turn the mixer to high and whip until soft peaks form.
- When done, spread the whipped cream on top of the cake, avoiding the sides (for a nicer presentation).
- Slice the cake into squares and place a cherry on top of each piece.
- Serve and enjoy--you've earned it!