|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 50 mins|
This Thai Style Shabu Shabu consists of two delicious soups, Tom Kha and Tom Yum, and three unique sauces, allowing you to add varying levels of heat and sweet to the soups. If you’re not up for making two separate soups, you can just pick one! And the proteins can be mixed and matched; chicken, beef, shrimp, use whatever you have on hand!
This dish is fun for the whole family or group AND the taste is the bomb!! Hot Pot really means cooking your food in the hot broth or soup while at the table - everybody can make their own when adding in the uncooked ingredients (seafood, meat, veggies) you put out. Think Fondue-ish. Everybody cooks together right at the table
Use and electric pan or pot on an electric burner to keep the soup at a low boil to cook the ingredients each person adds in and then just ladle it up right at the table piping hot!
Everyone has a finished bowl of hot soup exactly how they want to make it and eat it - squeeze of lime, little chili sauce if they like and they are set!
2 pieces coriander root or 2 tsp dried coriander
2 inches lemongrass
1 inch galangal - Thai Ginger (can be found at most International markets or substitute ginger root)
2 pieces fried bird’s eye chili (substitutes for bird's eye chili are cayenne pepper, serrano pepper, jalapeño pepper, habanero pepper)
½ tbsp fried garlic
½ tbsp fried shallot
TOM KHA Soup (Sweet & Spicy)
¾ cup coconut milk
⅓ cup chicken stock
1 oz mushrooms
1 oz baby spinach
1 piece coriander root, crushed or 1 tsp dried coriander
2 pieces shallot, crushed
3-4 pieces bird’s eye chilies, crushed
½ stem lemongrass, cut on an angle and crushed
1 inch galangal - Thai Ginger, sliced into 5 or more pieces (can be found at most International markets or substitute ginger root)
1 kaffir lime leaf, hand torn into pieces (fresh leaves can be found at most International markets or substitute about 1 tsp of lime zest)
1 tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp tamarind puree
½ tsp lime juice
6 inches lemongrass
6 small shallots, roughly chopped
2 inches galangal root
TOM YUM Soup (Coconut & Lemongrass)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5 kaffir lime leaves
4 tbsp chili paste
6 tbsp minced (fresh) paprika peppers (or sweet red pepper)
3 cups fresh coconut milk
4 tbsp fish sauce
5 tbsp lemon juice
- Tom Kha soup, combine all ingredients for the paste in a mortar and pestle or small food processor and pound (or pulse) until a paste is formed.
- Add the chicken stock to a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the coriander root, shallot, bird’s eye chili, lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaf and continue boiling until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and return to a boil.
- Stir in the fish sauce and tamarind puree'. Mix well and continue simmering until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Remove the coriander root before serving.
- Tom Yum soup, combine all ingredients for the paste in a mortar and pestle or small food processor and pound (or pulse) until a paste is formed.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock to a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, chili paste, and minced paprika peppers and continue boiling until fragrant.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fish sauce and lemon juice.
SHABU SHABU - ADD IN YOUR PROTEINS AND VEGETABLES:
Once all your soups are ready and hot, add in your favorite ingredients you want to use to make your special Shabu Shabu "Hot Pot" style soup.
2 oz thinly sliced meat (use thinly sliced chicken, beef tenderloin, pork, bacon, or any combination of these) and or 2 oz seafood tiger prawns, peeled, deveined (can also use squid, sea bass, scallop, or any combination of these).
Add your favorite vegetables to it too (mushrooms, corn, cabbage, spinach, carrots, tomatoes etc) You can make this a vegetarian dish if you like. It's totally up to you what your tastes and dietary preferences desire!
Let the ingredients boil in the soup for 5-10 minutes or until everything is cooked thoroughly.
Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles!
OPTIONAL SIDE SAUCES:
THAI STYLE SEAFOOD SAUCE
1 tbsp minced red or green Thai chili
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced coriander root or 1 tsp dried coriander
1 ½ tbsp minced large red chili
Pinch of salt
⅓ cup palm sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
NUM JIM JEAW SAUCE
2 tsp ground chili
1 tbsp minced shallot
1 tsp minced coriander root or 1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp cooked jasmine rice
1 tsp thinly sliced spring onion
1 tsp palm sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
SESAME SWEET CHILI SAUCE
1 ½ tbsp minced red or green Thai chili
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced coriander root
1 tsp white sesame seeds
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 ½ tbsp sriracha
1 ½ tbsp ketchup
1 ½ tbsp tamarind sauce
Three Sauces, combine all ingredients for each sauce in separate bowls and whisk until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.