|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 50 mins|
OMG... This is the best BBQ Baby Back Ribs Recipe ever! Sweet, spicy, and full of crazy flavors you'll explode with happiness... Guaranteed!
2 slabs baby back ribs, trimmed of excess fat, about 3 pounds
⅓ cup Chinese five-spice powder
1 strip thick cut bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ shallot finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
⅓ cup ketchup
2 tbsp honey (heaping)
2 tbsp apricot preserves (heaping)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 ½ tsp chili sauce (Sriracha)
2 green onions, chopped for garnish
- Preheat a grill to approximately 250°F.
- Lightly season the ribs with the five-spice powder so it forms a light crust.
- Put the ribs, meat side up, over an area of the grill with indirect heat. Let the ribs cook for 2 hours.
- While the ribs are cooking, prepare the barbecue sauce: Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook slowly to render its fat, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Discard the particles with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the shallot and garlic, and saute until fragrant and slightly caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the light soy sauce and rice vinegar. Allow the liquid to deglaze the pan for a moment, and then whisk vigorously to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the hoisin sauce and ketchup, and continue whisking together until well incorporated. Simmer the glaze for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, apricot preserves and brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Simmer for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger, whisk and keep simmering for 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the chili sauce and let the sauce simmer for a final 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat. Reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce in a separate bowl.
- After the ribs have cooked for 1 hour, begin basting them with the barbecue sauce.
- Coat them well once every 15 minutes, until the ribs reach an internal temperature registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the ribs from the grill to a cutting board and let rest, tented with aluminum foil for 5 minutes.
- Slice the ribs between each bone and arrange them on a serving dish. Drizzle with the reserved glaze and garnish with the chopped green onions.
Adapted from: Food Network