|YIELDS: 12 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 14 mins||TOTAL TIME: 29 mins|
⅓ cup palm shortening or unsalted butter
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
½ cup coconut flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13- by 18-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the cake layer, In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment, or using an electric handheld beater, cream together the palm shortening, coconut sugar, and honey for one minute on medium-high speed. Add eggs, vanilla and beat again until combined. Combine the arrowroot, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Slowly beat in the flour mixture alternating with the coconut milk, until blended.
- Scrape batter onto the pan and, using an offset spatula, smooth to a thin, even layer, leaving a ¼-inch border of parchment paper around the edges. Bake until cake is set, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer pan to a rack to cool completely.
- Using the parchment, transfer the cake to a cutting board. Cut cake in half crosswise so that you have 2 pieces that are about 9 by 13 inches each. Carefully wrap the pieces tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour. The cake will be fragile until frozen, so work carefully to avoid cracks.
- When you are ready to assemble – remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften for 15 minutes. Using a large ice cream scoop, dollop ice cream evenly over the top of one half of the cake. Using an offset spatula, spread ice cream into an even layer. Carefully place the remaining piece of cake on the ice cream, with the top facing down, to make a large sandwich cake. Immediately wrap it well in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours.
- Remove the large sandwich cake from the freezer and take off the plastic wrap. Trim about 1/4 inch off of each edge to make a perfect rectangle, and then cut into 8 smaller, rectangular sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich well in reusable bee wax paper or reusable freezer bags and freeze until firm and ready to serve.