|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 35 mins||TOTAL TIME: 45 mins|
Moist, sweet, and fresh! This strawberry spoon cake is a hybrid of spoonbread, pudding cake, and biscuit all in one! Don't forget the vanilla ice cream!
2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Combine the sliced strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl. Toss to combine and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Place the butter in a 10" cast iron skillet, place in the oven, and preheat to 350°F.
- While the oven heats/butter melts, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Swirl the pan to coat with butter then pour the remaining butter into the flour mixture. Stir the buttermilk and vanilla into the flour mixture and stir until no dry lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and spread into an even layer.
- Spoon the strawberries and their juices over the top.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 32-37 minutes, until the center is just set.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Serve warm and top with vanilla ice cream, if desired!