|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 50 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr|
Two simple ways to prepare squab. If you've never tried squab before, it's tender, moist, and full of flavor. This is the perfect recipe try your hand at cooking it! Truly delicious down home, country cookin'!
2 whole squab (baby pigeons) from Devil's Gulch Ranch
salt and pepper, to taste
Lemon pepper, to taste
4 tbsp ghee
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 lb potatoes (we used a mix of red, purple, and yellow), thinly sliced
2 tbsp butter
- Begin by removing the wings and legs from the squab using a boning knife.
- Toss the wings and legs with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper. Place in a large pan and add enough orange juice to cover about 1/2 - 3/4 of the wings/legs. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Season the breasts with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper as well.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and sauté until golden brown.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with the melted butter and 1-2 tablespoons ghee. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to a large pan over medium-high heat and cook, turning often, until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, add the sautéed onions and keep warm until ready to serve.
- To cook the breasts, heat a bit of ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Pan fry the breasts until cooked through (internal temp of 145°F).
- Serve the pan fried breasts and braised wings/legs with some of the sautéed onions and potatoes and enjoy!