|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 25 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 10 mins|
Spicy Mexican Pozole is the best pork stew you will ever make! Guaranteed to get your family and friends drooling and wanting more...
1 ½ lbs pork shoulder
2 garlic cloves peeled
1 tbsp cumin
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp salt
¼ tsp oregano
4 cups white hominy, drained and rinsed
3-5 cups pork broth, from cooking the pork shoulder
1 cup diced green chilis
2 jalapeños , chopped
Lots of lime/lemon wedges
Shredded green cabbage
Fresh fried corn tortillas
- Prepare the onion, peel the garlic, chop the onion, peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, chop the green chilies and jalapeños if you are using them and get the hominy drained and rinsed.
- Place the meat in a large pot and just cover with lightly salted water.
- Add 1/2 chopped onion, the 2 cloves peeled garlic, pepper, cumin, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove meat and broth, reserving both.
- Sauté the remaining chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute.
- Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan.
- Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock, I like to add it anyway for flavor, about 2-4 cups, eyeball the amount you like), green chilies and jalapeños.
- Cook at a simmer, covered, for 2 hours until the meat and hominy are tender.
- Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.
- This is a delicious recipe and well worth the effort to make.