|YIELDS: 1 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 0 mins||TOTAL TIME: 10 mins|
Papaya salad is a famous dish found on Thai menus around the world. It’s crunchy, sweet, spicy, savory, and embodies all of the flavors of Thai cooking. Pairs wonderfully with grilled chicken or beef.
3 oz raw green papaya, peeled and cut into long thin strips (green papaya can be found in most International markets, but zucchini, kohlrabi, or even cabbage makes a good substitute)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1-2 green bird’s eye chilies
¾ oz long green beans (or French green beans), cut into ¾” pieces
1 oz unsalted roasted peanuts
1 ¼ oz halved cherry tomatoes
2 pieces dried bird’s eye chili
¾ oz dried shrimp
1 tbsp tamarind juice
1 ½ tbsp palm sugar
1 ½ tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
- In a mortar, pound the garlic and green bird’s eye chilies.
- Add the beans, dried shrimp, peanuts, tomatoes and roughly pound. Alternatively, combine the above ingredients in a small food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the tamarind juice, palm sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Add the papaya and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish.