|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 35 mins||TOTAL TIME: 55 mins|
Step up your spaghetti and meatball game with these crazy delicious bison meatballs! Done with homemade marinara sauce and loads of veggies!
1 lb ground bison
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Crushed red pepper, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup cubed eggplant
1 cup sliced zucchini
1 package spaghetti noodles, cooked according to package instructions (I used rice noodles)
4 lbs ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 small yellow onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
- Combine the ground bison and seasonings in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Scoop the mixture by the heaping tablespoonful and shape into balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate while you start the marinara.
- To make the marinara, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place the quartered tomatoes, onion, and garlic onto a large baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt.
- Roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until mostly smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer everything to a blender and blend until mostly smooth.)
- While the tomatoes roast, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the meatballs and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside. Add the mushrooms, eggplant, and zucchini and sauté until softened and lightly browned.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and stir in the marinara. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until everything is bubbly and heated through.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles and enjoy!