|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs||TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 20 mins|
2 qts apple juice
1 cup kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
3 qts ice cold water
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp cayenne powder
¼ tsp cumin
1 chunk applewood or other light smoking wood
Large container for brining
Instant read thermometer
- Whisk together the apple juice, salt, brown sugar, and molasses in a large container (large enough to fit your bird) until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Stir in the ice cold water and submerge the turkey, breast side down, into the brine. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the rub and mix well.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Use your fingers to gently separate the skin from beneath the breasts and around the thighs. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the rub under the breast and thighs then sprinkle the remaining rub all over the turkey and inside of the cavity.
- Preheat your grill or smoker to 325°F. Add your wood chunks when at temperature.
- Place your turkey in a large roasting pan, breast side up.
- Smoke for 1 hour, then cover with aluminum foil and continue smoking until an internal temperature of 150°F is reached in the thickest part of the breast, around another 1-2 hours. Uncover and baste the bird every 15-20 minutes and continue smoking until the bird hits an internal temp of 160°F.
- Remove from the smoker and allow to rest, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Carve, serve, and enjoy!