|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 10 mins|
1 butternut squash
½ yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground coriander
3 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
chili powder (optional)
roasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
cinnamon and black pepper, for garnish
a drizzle of Sonoma garlic oil, for garnish
- Preheat oven or smoker to 375°F.
- Cut, quarter, and remove the seeds of one sugar pumpkin (NOT a halloween pumpkin) and one butternut squash. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with kosher salt and white pepper.
- Bake or smoke for 45 minutes. Allow to cool then peel skin and cube.
- In a large pot, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the roasted pumpkin and squash. Season with nutmeg, coriander, kosher salt, and white pepper.
- Add the vegetable or chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to low and blend until smooth using an immersion blender. (Alternatively, you can carefully transfer to a blender, blend until smooth, then return to the pot.)
- Taste and add a pinch of chili powder, if desired. Bring back to a simmer and add a splash more broth, until desired consistency is reached.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon and black pepper, and a drizzle of garlic oil.