|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 40 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr|
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 ½ cups whole milk
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp mustard powder
¼ tsp paprika
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Olive oil for drizzling
Salt and pepper
6 Bacon Strips Cooked - cut into pieces
9x13” baking dish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup milk. Whisk until smooth then add another 1/2 cup milk.
- Return the pot to heat and whisk in the mustard powder, paprika, and remaining milk.
- Increase heat to medium-high and continue whisking until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese, stirring until completely melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni noodles and bacon and transfer to a 9 x 13” baking dish.
- Top with the breadcrumbs, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and place in your smoker with a few chunks of your favorite smoking wood. (Apple and hickory are great choices.)
- Smoke for about 40 minutes at 350-400°F.
- Remove from the smoker add a few more bacon bits to the top and dig in!