|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 40 mins||TOTAL TIME: 50 mins|
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp chopped oregano
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped mint
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 ½ tbsp chopped capers
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat smoker or oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Trim about 3/8" from the top of each tomato and discard. Use a spoon or melon baller to carefully remove the seeds and most of the flesh from the tomato, leaving a clean shell. Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes and place upside down in a colander to drain off some moisture.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil in a medium pan over low heat and sauté the onion, garlic, and olives for about 5-6 minutes, until the onion is softened. Remove from heat and stir in the panko, herbs, and capers. Season with black pepper and add a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Dry the insides of the tomatoes with paper towels then fill with the herb stuffing, pressing down gently as you go. Create a nice dome of stuffing on the top.
- Place the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened.
- Great when served hot or warm. Enjoy!