|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 50 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 10 mins|
I tried a product I had not cooked with before and it was fantastic - hearts of palm lasagna sheets! Paired with other veggies and my homemade roasted marinara, and man, what a fantastic lasagna that my family loved! I also used plant based cheese which turned this into a vegan lasagna!!!
1 package hearts of palm lasagna sheets (this product is sold in a sealed pouch in most supermarkets or online)
1 large globe eggplant, sliced
1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds or 2 medium zucchini, sliced into strips
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
2-3 cups marinara sauce (make your own - recipe below) or jar of natural sauce
Salt and pepper
1 cup shredded queso fresco (I used a plant based cheese from Forager Project) or shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded mozzarella (I used a plant based cheese from Forager Project)
Grated parmesan, optional topping
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Chopped fresh basil
Roasted Marinara Sauce
4 lbs ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 small yellow onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt, to taste
- Start by making the roasted marinara sauce (if not using store bought). Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place the quartered tomatoes and onion onto a large baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until mostly smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer everything to a blender and blend until mostly smooth.)
- Smoke or roast eggplant and zucchini at 375°F for 5-7 mins each side to pre-cook slightly. Use a silicone basting brush to apply a very small amount of olive oil to both sides and season with salt and ground pepper.
- Sauté mushrooms in a pan with olive oil, salt, and ground pepper.
- Now time to layer the lasagna. Start with marinara sauce and a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil, add a layer of eggplant rounds, then a layer of mushrooms, zucchini, and the hearts of palm sheets. Sprinkle cheese all around the sides and then start again with the sauce and layer of veggies and cheese. Finish with a little sauce, fresh basil and grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Smoke or bake at 375°F for 40 mins until all the flavors have melded, the sauce is bubbling, and cheese is hot and melted.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes, otherwise it will burn the you know what out of your mouth!
- Dig in and enjoy!