|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 5 mins|
Everybody loves a freshly baked apple pie, but have you ever tried it grilled? You'll love the sweet, smoky flavor of this all-American favorite!
3 cups flour (I used Cup4Cup for gluten-free)
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
12 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 cup full-fat sour cream, chilled
Ice water, by the teaspoonful, as needed
6 Granny Smith apples (or other tart, baking apple), peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/4" slices
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
⅛ tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp cinnamon
⅛ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp butter
Light cane sugar, for sprinkling
- Start by making the pie crust: In a large bowl, mix about half the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Add the cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to incorporate it into the flour. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor and pulse the butter in.)
- Add the sour cream and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the remaining flour. (The dough should resemble bread crumbs at this point.)
- Lightly knead the dough until it holds together when pinched. Add water, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, until this consistency is reached.
- Divide the dough into two even pieces, shape into a disc, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with flour then fold it over on itself like a business letter. Repeat this process twice more.
- Roll the dough out into a circle about 12" in diameter and 3/8" thick. Roll loosely onto the rolling pin and transfer to the pie plate. Trim up any rough edges with kitchen shears. Crimp the edges using your fingers or a fork.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 3 days).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9" metal pie pan and set aside.
- Pierce the bottom of the pie crust all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden.
- Keep the top crust chilled until after your pie is filled.
- Place the apple slices in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and salt.
- Slowly pour the sugar mixture over the apples and toss until the apples are well coated.
- Add the lemon juice and toss.
- Setup your smoker / grill for indirect grilling and preheat to 425°F.
- Spoon the apples into the parbaked crust and sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Dot the butter over the apples and cover with the top crust (either with a lattice top or completely covered and scored several times to let the steam vent).
- Place the pie into the preheated grill / smoker (not over the coals/flame), cover, and bake for about 45 minutes, rotating 180° after about 20 minutes to ensure even cooking. (Alternatively, you can bake the pie in a 425°F oven for 30-45 minutes.)
- Remove the pie from the smoker / grill and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Topping with vanilla ice cream is highly recommended!