|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 55 mins|
I tried to make my scalloped potatoes a bit lighter this time by using almond milk and less butter; it’s just as good, trust me! Be sure to get the potatoes really golden brown on top so you get that crispy texture and flavor! Super tasty!
3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tbsp butter
½ yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 7x11” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. (9x13” also works, it’ll just be thinner.)
- Slice the potatoes thin (about ⅛”). Layer half of the potato slices on the bottom of the baking dish, in overlapping layers.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the onion and sauté for a few minutes, until softened. Stir in the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Whisk in the milk and cornstarch and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat.
- Stir in about ⅓ of the shredded cheddar. Mix until melted.
- Pour half the cheese sauce over the first layers of potatoes and spread out with a spoon.
- Layer the rest of the potatoes on top then pour the remaining cheese sauce over the top and spread out with a spoon.
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake for about 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.