|YIELDS: 6 Servings
|PREP TIME: 10 mins
|COOK TIME: 35 mins
|TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
Chicken tamale pie is the family favorite especially when using a roasted chicken! So simple and easy to make and the flavors are incredible.
1 box of corn muffin mix
½ cup sour cream
1 large egg
½ cup corn kernels (canned, fresh or frozen)
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp taco seasoning
2 cups cooked shredded chicken (use a roasted chicken if you can)
12 oz green enchilada sauce, divided (you can use red too if you prefer)
1 cup shredded Monterey jack
1 cup shredded cheddar
4 oz diced green chiles
Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg, corn, and melted butter. Pour into prepared skillet and bake until golden, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add taco seasoning and season with salt. Add chicken and 4 oz enchilada sauce and stir until combined.
- Poke holes all over cornbread with the bottom of a wooden spoon. Pour 4 oz enchilada sauce over poked holes and top with chicken mixture. Add the remaining 4 oz of enchilada sauce on top of the chicken mixture.
- Top with both cheeses, add the green chiles and bake 20 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro and sour cream before serving.
Notes: I used a roasted chicken I made from the night before. If you have the time to roast a chicken, this made the dish even better. Easy thing to do is to just buy a roasted chicken already cooked at the store. I've done that too!
If you like spicy you might want to add some jalapeños to the mix and kick it up a notch.Recipe adapted from: Delish