|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 5 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins|
You don’t need to live in France to enjoy some of the taste of French cooking. And not all French food is complicated or thick sauces. This is so easy to make - all in one pan and just a few steps to complete. The smoker gives it a slight smoked flavor but you could easily make this in the oven.
4-6 chicken legs and thighs or chicken leg quarters
2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup flour, for dredging
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp herbes de Provence
8 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
8 med shallots, peeled and halved
3 cups cherry tomatoes
8 artichoke hearts (canned), drained and quartered
1 cup green olives, pitted
1 cup red wine (preferably dry & one you like to drink)
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
Brown or white rice
French or sourdough bread for dipping
Ovenproof pan with a lid
Smoker or oven
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. (When the chicken is really dry it’s easier for the flour to stick when you start to dredge your poultry pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour on a plate or shallow bowl and dredge the chicken pieces - coating on all sides.
- Preheat smoker (or oven) to 400°F.
- Heat the oil in your ovenproof pan over med-high heat and once hot, brown the chicken pieces - starting with the skin side down. Cook each side for 6-7 minutes then remove from the stove.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the herbs de Provence and add in the garlic, shallots, artichoke hearts, olives and tomatoes. Pour in the wine. Arrange thyme sprigs on top and cover.
- Transfer to the smoker or oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and baste a bit before smoking or baking for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite rice and spoon extra sauce for dipping with a nice slice of French or sourdough bread.