|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 5 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 5 hrs 50 mins|
Pot roast just like mom used to make! So tender and juicy. You can smell this stuff down the street when it's cooking...so darn good!
3 lbs eye of round roast
Salt and pepper
¼ cup flour
18 oz beef stock
½ onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp pickling spice, wrapped in a coffee filter and tied with a cooking string
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water until smooth
- Heat the vegetable oil into a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Season the roast with salt and black pepper and coat with a dusting of flour.
- Brown the meat on all sides in the hot oil, and transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and cook for a couple minutes until onions are translucent.
- Return the roast to the pot, add the beef stock, bay leaf, and pickling spice.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 4-5 hours, until the roast is tender.
- Slice the meat into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Set aside.
- To prepare the gravy, remove the bay leaf and pickling spice from the pot and place over low heat. Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue whisking until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the slices of meat back to the pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve it over mashed potatoes alongside your favorite veggie!