|YIELDS: 12 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 5 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins|
You will not miss the meat in these vegan Portobello Mushroom Sliders! Sliced mushrooms slow roasted in a smoky-sweet sauce and topped with creamy, dairy-free, coleslaw.
6 tbsp canola oil
1 lb portobello mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp brown sugar
¾ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground pepper
1 cup thinly sliced red and green cabbage
½ cup grated carrots
¼ cup avocado mayonnaise
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp celery seed
1 pinch sugar
Freshly ground pepper
12 slider buns (Udi's Gluten Free is what I used)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and brush each with about 1 tablespoon canola oil. Line a third baking sheet with paper towels.
- Arrange the mushroom slices in a single layer on each of the parchment lined baking sheets and brush with the remaining oil.
- Bake the mushrooms until softened and slightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Flip the mushrooms, rotate the pan and continue baking for about 30-35 minutes, until the mushrooms are nicely browned and the edges are crispy.
- Remove from the oven (leave the oven on) and transfer to the paper towel lined baking sheet to dry for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, molasses, brown sugar, paprika, and garlic powder. Toss the mushrooms in the sauce until all are well coated.
- Return the sauced mushrooms to the baking sheets and arrange in a single layer. Season with kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- For the coleslaw, combine the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the avocado mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrots and toss until well coated. Chill until ready to serve.
- To assemble, separate the slider buns and fill with the mushroom mixture. Top with coleslaw and pickles/hot sauce/desired toppings. Top with the top bun and enjoy!