|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 50 mins|
Perfectly seasoned, butterflied pork loin, wrapped in pork belly and roasted until perfectly succulent on the inside and crisp, golden brown on the outside. This easy porchetta recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
INGREDIENTS:6 lbs pork belly, skin on
4 lbs center-cut pork loin, trimmed and butterflied
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper or chili flakes
Instant read thermometer
- Combine the fennel seeds and peppercorns in a small skillet. Toast over medium heat until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Be sure to stir often so they don't burn.
- Remove from heat and cool. Transfer to a spice grinder and pulse until finely ground. (You can also use an old coffee grinder or hand grind with a mortar and pestle.)
- Place the ground spices into a small bowl and add the parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Season both the pork belly and pork loin with 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt and half of the rub.
- Tightly roll the pork loin into a cylinder.
- Roll the pork belly, skin side out, around the rolled pork loin. Tie with butcher's twine at 1-inch intervals.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon kosher salt with 1 teaspoon baking soda. Rub the mixture all over the pork skin and refrigerate, uncovered, for 24-48 hours.
- Before roasting, allow the meat to rest at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat smoker, grill, or oven to 500°F.
- Roast the porchetta for 20 minutes at 500°F then lower the temperature to 275°F and continue cooking for about 2 hours, until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
- Remove from the smoker or oven and increase the heat back to 500°F.
- Return the porchetta to the smoker or oven for 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin. (Watch carefully or it will burn.)
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the twine, slice, and serve!