|YIELDS: 2 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 45 mins|
½ cup koji (found online or in Asian markets)
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
Coarse salt and pepper
8 tbsp butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
Small food processor
Sous vide machine
Grill or large skillet
- Using a small food processor, grind the koji into a fine powder and sprinkle liberally over the steaks.
- Place the steaks on a rack over a baking sheet, cover with foil, and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, rinse the steak and brush lightly (with a clean brush) to remove the koji. Pat the steaks dry.
- Place 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, and 2 cloves garlic on each steak and carefully slide each into a sous vide bag. Vacuum seal the bags.
- Place in the sous vide machine and cook at around 130°F for 2 1/2 hours.
- When the steaks are done, remove from the bags and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Finish the steaks on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Top each steak with a couple of pads of compound butter.
- To make the compound butter, place the softened butter on a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Finely chop the shallot, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and sprinkle all over the butter.
- Roll the butter up tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.