|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 50 mins|
2 steaks, cut of your choice (we used giant porterhouses)
½ cup koji (found online or in Asian markets)
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
8 tbsp butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
Sous Vide Carrots
8 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
3 tbsp salted butter
1" piece of ginger, peeled
1 tbsp honey
Salt, to taste
6 cups arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes
½ red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup freshly shaved parmesan
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups fresh berries (we used strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
2 tbsp tapioca
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups oats
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
Small food processor
Sous vide machine
8 x 8” baking dish
- Sous Vide Steak: Using a small food processor, grind the koji into a fine powder and sprinkle liberally over the steaks.
- Place the steaks on a rack over a baking sheet, cover with foil, and refrigerate for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, rinse the steak and brush lightly (with a clean brush) to remove the koji. Pat the steaks dry.
- Place 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, and 2 cloves garlic on each steak and carefully slide each into a sous vide bag. Vacuum seal the bags.
- Place in the sous vide machine and cook at around 130°F for 2 1/2 hours.
- Compound Butter: Place the softened butter on a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Finely chop the shallot, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and sprinkle all over the butter.
- Roll the butter up tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
- Sous Vide Carrots: Place the carrots in a sous vide bag with 2 tbsp butter and seal.
- Cook in the sous vide machine at around 183°F for 1 hour.
- When done, remove from the bag and toss in a hot skillet with the peeled ginger, honey, and remaining tbsp of butter.
- Remove the ginger before serving. Enjoy!
- Arugula Salad: In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and shaved parmesan.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss until well coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To finish the steak, remove from the bags when done and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Finish the steaks on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side.
- Top each steak with a couple of pads of compound butter.
- Berry Crumble: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the berries with the tapioca and lemon juice.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, and parmesan. Use two forks or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the oat mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Transfer the berry mixture to an 8x8" baking pan and top with the oat mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the berries are bubbling.