|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 10 mins||TOTAL TIME: 20 mins|
A massive muffuletta sandwich that's big enough to feed the whole neighborhood! Use whatever meats and cheeses you'd like but don't forget the olive relish - it really makes the sandwich!
2 Meyer lemons, quartered and seeded (not peeled)
1 shallot, diced
2 tbsp flat leaf Italian parsley
1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 drizzle olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
½ cup chopped pitted green olives
½ cup chopped artichoke hearts
½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
1 round loaf of artisan bread (sesame, seeded wheat, sourdough)
- To prepare the olive relish, scoop out about 1/2 the pulp of the quartered lemons and discard. Roughly chop the lemons and place in a food processor or blender.
- Add the shallot and parsley and pulse a few times. (You want it minced but not puréed.)
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vinegar, coriander seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix in the olives, artichokes, and red peppers.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for the best flavor.
- To assemble the muffuletta, slice your loaf of bread in half and scoop out a little bit of bread from the top and bottom to make room for all the meat!
- Layer in your meats, cheeses, and olive spread however you'd like. I layered mine like this: mozzarella cheese, Genoa salami, ham, prosciutto, provolone, olive spread, pancetta, Italian salami, mortadella, olive spread, and topped with another layer of cheese.
- You can wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook or cook right away. (I cooked mine right away.)
- Place in a hot skillet with a little butter and top with a heavy skillet or something to weigh it down.
- Cook until toasted then carefully flip (you'll need a big spatula) and continue cooking until the other side is nice and toasted.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!