|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 5 hrs 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 5 hrs 30 mins|
These Meaty Beef Short Ribs are marinated overnight then slow cooked and finished on the BBQ. The result is the most tender, flavorful short ribs you've ever tasted!
3-4 lbs beef short ribs, about 12 ribs
1/3 cup sunflower oil
2 onions, thickly sliced
2 cup American-style craft lager (example - Samuel Adams)
3 cup Homemade or good-quality chicken stock
2/3 cup black strap molasses
Small bunch thyme
Burnt oak wood chips, tied in a muslin bag
Fresh raspberries, for garnish
Pomegranate arils, for garnish
Optional Addition to Sauce
Little bit of mustard
Splash of Worcestershire or use a mix of the drippings and a little flour for a gravy
- First, make the marinade. Mix the spices and 3 tbsp salt in a bowl, then stir in the oil to make a paste. Make a deep hole in each short rib, then rub the spice mix all over and into the hole. Place on a tray, cover and chill overnight.
- The next day, heat oven to 300°F. Heat the oil in a large, shallow pan, fry the onions until you start to get a deep, rich color, about 20 mins. Pour in the beer and boil to reduce by half, then add the stock, molasses, thyme and oak chips (in a bag if you want that extra flavor). Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Place the marinated short ribs in your largest roasting tin. Pour the onion and beer braising liquid over ribs, then cover tightly with foil. Transfer to the oven and cook the short ribs for 5 hrs on 300°F or until really tender.
- Once the ribs are cooked, remove and put on a plate to rest and cool. Strain the braising liquid into a saucepan. Once settled, use a ladle to remove the top layer of fat, then set over a high heat. Simmer the sauce until it becomes rich and glossy, then whisk in a little bit of mustard and gravy you made. You could add a squirt of ketchup if needed.
- To finish them off, heat your bbq coals until ashen or set a gas barbecue to medium. Cook the ribs until nicely charred and hot all the way through, then baste with the sauce to finish and cook until sticky. Mouthwatering!