|YIELDS: 2 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 25 mins|
A fresh sea bass salad in a simple dressing with fresh herbs and roasted rice powder, which is a pantry staple in Northern Thailand and adds a delicious, nutty crunch.
Larb or laab is a meat or seafood salad seasoned with fresh herbs. It is believed that the dish is originally from Laos, but it is also popular in the Northeastern and Northern regions of Thailand, as well as being present in the menus of Thai restaurants around the world.
5 ½ oz fresh sea bass, diced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tbsp mint leaves, thinly sliced
2 tbsp spring onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup sliced shallot
2 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp roasted rice powder
¼ cup fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
Roasted Rice Powder
½ cup short grain rice, uncooked
2 kaffir lime leave, sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
½” piece of galangal, thinly sliced
1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
Spice grinder or mortar and pestle
- To make the roasted rice, place the short grain rice in a dry, cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the kaffir lime, shallot, galangal, and lemongrass.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, until the rice is golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Grind the rice in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle until finely ground. Keep stored in an airtight container.
- To prepare the salad, whisk together the fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Stir in the seabass, cilantro, mint, spring onion, shallot, and chili flakes. Mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the roasted rice powder.