|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 35 mins|
You can never go wrong with a classic basil and mozzarella pizza! Go all out and make your own dough and roasted marinara or keep it simple and use store bought, either way is delicious.
Homemade pizza dough (recipe below, can also use store bought)
Roasted marinara sauce (recipe below, can also use store bought)
Fresh mozzarella, sliced into thin rounds
Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh basil, thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil, for finishing
1 bag (1 kilo) Caputo Gluten Free Flour (or use Caputo Pizzeria Flour for non-gluten-free)
3 ⅓ cups cold water
5 tsp salt
5 tsp olive oil
2 ¼ tsp Rapid Rise instant yeast (1/4 oz packet)
- Start by preparing the dough: Mix yeast and water together in the bowl of a stand mixer affixed with the dough hook attachment. (Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer with dough hook attachments.)
- Add flour to the mixer and mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Once combined, increase speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the side of the bowl.
- Add salt and mix on low for 1 minute then increase speed to high and mix for 2 minutes.
- Stop mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the olive oil.
- Mix on low for 1 minute then increase speed to high for 2 minutes.
- Final product will be tacky/sticky, like frosting.
- Cut into 4 equal size (400 grams) balls and wrap in plastic wrap. (Oil your hands when handling the dough, it helps the dough not stick.)
- Refrigerate for 8-24 hours, to let the dough form.
- For the roasted marinara, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place the quartered tomatoes and onion onto a large baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until mostly smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer everything to a blender and blend until mostly smooth.)
- To prepare the pizza, oven heat to 475°F. Flatten the pizza dough into a 12-inch circle, creating a thicker rim for the crust. Carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet or pizza stone and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Top the pizza with a couple ladles full of the roasted marinara and spread evenly over the dough.
- Cover with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Transfer to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and finish with fresh basil a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.