|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 25 mins|
Lemon Poppyseed Scones
1 cup oat milk or heavy cream
8 tbsp butter
2 cups gluten free flour (I used Cup4Cup) or all purpose flour
4 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornstarch
1½ tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
zest of 1 medium-size lemon
2 cups fresh summer fruit, such as peaches, blackberries, strawberries, diced
¼ cup tequila
- Preheat the oven to 400°F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure 1 cup oat milk or heavy cream and place it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a paper towel and heat on high for 30 seconds. If not completely melted, return to the microwave for 10-second intervals till melted. Set aside to cool a bit while prepping other ingredients.
- Whisk the flour, honey, cornstarch, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium-size bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- After oat milk or cream has been chilled in the freezer for 10 minutes, combine it with the melted butter. Stir with a fork until butter forms small clumps. Add the mixture to the other ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until all flour is incorporated. (Do not over mix.) The batter will be very thick, like cookie dough.
- Scoop up scone mixture with a small measuring cup in mounds onto the prepared pan. Space the scones at least 2 inches apart to allow for some spreading.
- Refrigerate the unbaked scones for at least 15 minutes
- Bake for 12-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with Tequila-Fruit Compote on top or on the side. Add some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if you want to get fancy!
- For the Tequila-Fruit Compote, add the diced fruit to a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste, drizzle with a bit of honey, and add the tequila.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the fruit has softened.