|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 45 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hours||TOTAL TIME: 2 hours 45 mins|
1 red onion
1 cup mushrooms
1 celery stalk
2 cups roughly chopped kale
1 garlic clove
1 pinch Finely chopped sage & oregano
2 lbs leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup lentils
1 tbsp butter
4 cups vegetable broth
2 lemons, juiced
1 tbsp cardamom pods
1 whole nutmeg
6 whole star anise
1 tbsp white peppercorns
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch coriander
1 pinch cumin
1 pinch salt
- Grind all the spices in a spice grinder. (If you don't want to grind them yourself, just buy pre-ground spices.)
- Place the cubed lamb in a large bowl and liberally season with the spice rub.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, reduce heat to medium, add the lentils, and cover.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven. Add the red onion and a pinch of the finely chopped sage and oregano.
- Add the lamb to the pan along with another pinch of sage and oregano.
- Allow the lamb to brown on all sides, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the mushrooms.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, and celery. Mix well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and lemon juice.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and mix in the lentils (along with their cooking liquid).
- Cover and allow the stew to simmer on low for about 2 hours.
- Stir in the kale and it's ready to serve!