|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 50 mins|
2 tsp coriander seeds
6 star anise pods
2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 tsp fennel seed
2 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole cloves
2 lbs oxtail, cut into 2" pieces
1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
3 shallots, 2 diced, 1 peeled and halved
1 piece of ginger, about 3" long, peeled
1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters
⅓ cup fish sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ cup chopped chives
½ lb thinly sliced beef
1 package pho noodles
Shrimp Spring Rolls
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (medium-large size)
1 package rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions
1 package rice paper wrappers
1 bunch fresh mint
1 bunch chives
1 tbsp peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup hoisin sauce
½ cup chicken stock
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp chili paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp shredded carrot
1 tbsp chopped peanuts
- To prepare the broth, start by broiling the onion, ginger, and the peeled and halved shallot for 3-5 minutes, until slightly charred and softened.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the spices and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until very fragrant.
- Add the broiled onion and shallot to the Instant Pot then crush the ginger a bit (using crab crackers or the back of a knife) and add to the pot as well.
- Throw in the apple wedges and a couple of cups of water.
- Place the oxtail pieces in the pot and top off with water (filling almost to the max line).
- Set the valve to the sealed position and turn on the soup setting (25 minutes).
- When the broth is done, release the pressure, remove the oxtails, and set aside. Once cooled, remove the meat from the tails to be added to the pho later.
- Strain the broth into a large stockpot over medium heat and stir in the fish sauce and maple syrup.
- While the pho broth cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pho noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer to blanch the beef when ready to assemble.
- Sauté the diced shallots until softened and set aside.
- To build the pho, start with a handful of noodles in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add a pinch of chopped chives, some oxtail meat and blanched beef slices, and a spoonful of sautéed shallots.
- Ladle broth over everything, add the toppings of your choice, and enjoy!
- For the shrimp spring rolls, bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer and blanch the shrimp for 2-3 minutes, until pink and opaque. Remove from the water, allow to cool slightly, and slice in half lengthwise.
- Bring the shrimp cooking liquid back to a boil and cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare a large bowl of warm water to soak the rice paper wrappers in.
- To assemble a spring roll, place one of the wrappers in the warm water for several seconds, until soft and pliable.
- Set the softened wrap on your work surface, and fill with a bit of noodles, mint, cilantro, shredded carrots, and lettuce. Roll the wrap once then add two pieces of shrimp, roll once more, add a piece of chive, tuck in the sides then finish rolling and place seam side down on a serving dish.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients. (This is a great task for the kids!)
- For the peanut sauce, combine the peanut oil, minced garlic, hoisin sauce, chicken stock, peanut butter, chili paste, sugar, and tomato paste in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk until smooth and heated through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with shredded carrot and chopped peanuts.