|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 5 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 35 mins|
Hearty and comforting elk chili cooked in record time thanks to the Instant Pot! Don't have elk? Try it with venison, buffalo, or ground beef!
2 lbs ground elk (or other ground meat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 cup beef broth
1 (14 oz can) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
3 fresh tomatoes chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups kidney and/or black beans (pre-cooked in the Instant Pot or canned), rinsed and drained
2 tbsp ancho chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Shredded cheddar, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, for topping
- Combine the baking soda with 2 tbsp water and mix until dissolved. Combine with the ground elk and 1 tsp salt. Mix well, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes. (This helps to retain the moisture when you brown the meat.)
- Combine the spices small bowl and set aside.
- Set the IP to sauté mode and add the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the ground elk and sauté until almost browned.
- Add half of the spice mixture, the minced garlic and mix well.
- Deglaze with the beef broth, being sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the IP.
- Turn off sauté mode and pour the crushed and fresh dices tomatoes on top, do not mix.
- Place the lid on the IP and cook for 12 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow to naturally release for 10-12 minutes, then carefully release the pressure.
- Add the remaining spices and the beans. Mix well.
- Turn on sauté mode and simmer for 10-15 minutes to reduce the liquid a bit.
- Taste, adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve!