|YIELDS: 2 Servings||PREP TIME: 5 mins||COOK TIME: 10 mins||TOTAL TIME: 15 mins|
Sweet, sour, spicy, this Hot & Sour Prawn Soup has it all! Perfectly cooked prawns in a creamy broth seasoned with traditional Thai flavors of lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime.
½ cup water or broth
1 stalk lemongrass, cut diagonally into 1” pieces
2 pieces galangal (can be found at most International markets or substitute ginger root)
1 kaffir lime leaf, torn in half (fresh leaves can be found at most International markets or substitute about 1 tsp of lime zest)
3-5 chilies, crushed
1 tomato, quartered
1 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, halved
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce (substitute soy sauce for vegetarian)
1-2 tsp Thai chili paste
3 ½ oz prawns (substitute oyster mushrooms or tofu for vegetarian version)
½ cup coconut milk or evaporated milk
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp chopped spring onion
1 tsp chopped sawtooth coriander (can substitute extra cilantro if unable to find this)
- Bring the ½ cup of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf, and chilies. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms, and shallots. Season with the sugar, fish sauce, and chili paste. Return to a boil.
- Add the prawns and coconut milk and boil for a few seconds, until the prawns are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the chopped cilantro, spring onion, and sawtooth coriander.