|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 30 mins||COOK TIME: 55 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 25 mins|
3 cups all purpose flour*
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
12 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 cup full-fat sour cream, chilled
Ice water, by the teaspoonful, as needed
*For gluten-free option, simply replace the AP flour with a gluten-free flour. (Cup4Cup brand is one of my favorites.)
1 ¾ cups homemade pumpkin purée (recipe below) OR use a 15oz can of purée
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
⅛ tsp ground cloves
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
1 ¼ cups evaporated milk
Homemade Pumpkin Purée
2 ½ lbs pie pumpkin
- Start by preparing the pie crust: In a large bowl, mix about half the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Add the cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to incorporate it into the flour. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor and pulse the butter in.)
- Add the sour cream and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Add the remaining flour. (The dough should resemble bread crumbs at this point.)
- Lightly knead the dough until it holds together when pinched. Add water, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, until this consistency is reached.
- Divide the dough into two even pieces, shape into a disc, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle lightly with flour then fold it over on itself like a business letter. Repeat this process twice more.
- Roll the dough out into a circle about 12" in diameter and 3/8" thick. Roll loosely onto the rolling pin and transfer to the pie plate. Trim up any rough edges with kitchen shears. Crimp the edges using your fingers or a fork.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 3 days).
- To prepare the homemade pumpkin purée, preheat smoker or oven to 375°F. Cook the whole pumpkin for about 40 minutes, then remove and let cool slightly.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy parts, then slice the pumpkin into chunks and return to the smoker/oven, rind side down, for 25-30 minutes, until soft.
- Scoop the pulp from the rind and use an immersion blender, food processor, or blender to blend until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pierce the bottom of the pie crust all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg, egg yolks, granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, and evaporated milk.
- Whisk until smooth, then pour the filling into the pre-baked crust.
- Bake the pie for 50 to 60 minutes, until the filling is just firm. (Place foil strips over the edge of the pie crust if it starts to get too brown.)
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.