|YIELDS: 6 Servings
|PREP TIME: 15 mins
|COOK TIME: 30 mins
|TOTAL TIME: 45mins
This healthy green bean casserole has a made from scratch, creamy mushroom sauce and crispy onion topping - you won't find anything from a can in this recipe!
2 lbs green beans, trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
10 cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chickpea flour
½ cup chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Grease a large casserole dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Add the green beans to the pot of water and boil for 4-5 minutes, until almost tender but still crisp. Drain the green beans and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain after a few minutes in the ice bath and set aside.
- To make the crispy onion topping, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes, until they are tender and starting to brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the almond meal to the same pan you used to cook the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until the almond meal turns lightly golden. Watch closely as it will burn quickly.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the bowl with the onions. Add the grated parmesan and sea salt. Toss until well combined. Set aside.
- For the mushroom sauce, heat the olive oil in the same pan, then add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the chickpea flour over the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and mix until smooth.
- Whisk in the almond milk and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the grated parmesan, sea salt, and pepper. Mix until the cheese is melted.
- Add the green beans to the mushroom sauce and toss until the green beans are well coated.
- Pour the green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish and evenly spread the crispy onion mixture over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Inspired by: A Sweet Pea Chef