|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 2 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 2 hrs 45 mins|
5 smoked ham hocks or pig's feet
4 celery stalks, minced
1 yellow onion, minced
4 Portuguese sausages, diced
5 carrots, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 small russet potatoes, diced
½ head green cabbage, roughly chopped
Salt, to taste
Cooked spaghetti noodles (optional)
- Place the ham hocks and/or pig's feet in a large pot and cover with about 10-12 cups of cold water.
- Add the minced celery and yellow onion to the pot.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the ham hocks/pig's feet from the broth and rinse under cold water to cool. Pick whatever meat you can from them (there will be very little) and add to the broth.
- Stir in the diced ham, diced sausage, diced carrots and celery, bay leaves, tomato sauce, tomato paste, kidney beans, and potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cabbage to the pot a few minutes before serving.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles, if desired. (This is the authentic way!)