|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 1 hr 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 45 mins|
4 lemons, halved
¼ cup sea salt
3 bay leaves, divided
15 whole peppercorns
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Large stock pot
Instant read thermometer
- Start by brining the chicken: In a large pot, combine 1 gallon of water and the ingredients for the brine. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Submerge the chicken in the cooled brine and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the oregano, turmeric, garlic powder, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drain the chicken well and pat dry. Season the cavity of the chicken with a bit of the rub then stuff with 2 lemon halves and 1 bay leaf.
- Truss the chicken and rub the outside of the bird with the olive oil. Season with the remaining rub.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish just large enough to hold it. (Do not place it on a rack.)
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour then remove from the oven, squeeze 2 lemon halves over the bird, and paste with the pan juices.
- Return to the oven for another 30-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. The chicken is done when the legs feel loose where they attach to the breast and an internal temp of 165°F is reached.
- Remove from the oven and pour the pan juices into a Pyrex cup. Let the chicken and juices rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the top of the juices. Carve the bird and arrange on a serving platter. Pour the pan juices over the meat and squeeze the lemon halves from the cavity over the top. Serve and enjoy!