|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 5 mins||COOK TIME: 8 mins||TOTAL TIME: 13 mins|
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs (or plain breadcrumbs seasoned with Italian seasoning)
½ cup canola oil
Ketchup, for dipping
- Remove the skin from the eggplant and cut the eggplant into 1/4" slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggplant slices to the egg mixture and let them soak for 10-20 minutes, flipping halfway to ensure every side is coated.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a large, shallow dish and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Test the oil by dropping a pinch of the breadcrumbs into it. If it immediately begins to sizzle, the oil is ready. (Cooking the eggplant in oil that is too cold will result in soggy eggplant.)
- Transfer one slice of eggplant into the breadcrumbs and coat evenly.
- Drop the eggplant into the hot oil and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Cook the eggplant for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup - just like mom used to! (It's good, trust me.)