|YIELDS: 8 Servings
|PREP TIME: 3 hrs
|COOK TIME: 30 mins
|TOTAL TIME: 3 hrs 30 mins
Making focaccia bread from scratch is much easier than you think! In just a few hours you'll have fresh focaccia with just the right amount of crunch on the outside and perfectly soft on the inside.
4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped, for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, whisk together the bread flour, 1 tablespoon of sea salt, and the instant yeast to combine.
- Pour in the water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and knead on medium speed for 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with plastic, and let it rise at room temperature for an hour and a half, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or cake pan, and spread it over the entire surface and up the sides.
- Transfer the dough to the pan, and gently stretch it to fill the pan.
- Cover the pan with plastic, and let it rise at room temperature for an hour and a half, or again until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly dampen your fingers with water to prevent sticking, and press them into the dough to make dimples.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon of flaky sea salt and the rosemary evenly over the dough.
- Bake the focaccia for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the bottom is crisp.
- Let the focaccia cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack, and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.