FISH FRY WITH CITRUS BUTTER SAUCE AND GLAZED CARROTS
|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 40 mins|
Fried fish is delicious on it's own, but try it with this citrus butter sauce and you'll never want to eat it plain again! Sweet and savory glazed carrots complete this quick and tasty meal!
4 sole filets (or white fish of your choice)
Salt, to taste
½ cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Canola oil, for frying
Lemon wedges, for serving
Citrus Butter Sauce
½ cup white wine
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1 sprig fresh thyme
¼ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
6 large carrots, peeled
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Cast iron pan
- For the glazed carrots, slice the peeled carrots, on the diagonal, into 1/2" thick slices.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger and carrots. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the ginger has softened.
- Stir in the soy sauce and honey, season with pepper, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the carrots have softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- To make the citrus butter sauce, place the white wine, shallots, and thyme in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until reduced by about half.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the orange, lime, and lemon juices. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Fry the Fish
- To prepare the fish, heat the canola oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet, until about 350-375°F.
- Pat the fish filets fry and season with salt.
- Dredge the filets in the flour, then egg, then the breadcrumbs. Shake off any excess then fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Spoon the citrus butter sauce over the fish and serve with lemon wedges and the glazed carrots.