|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 40 mins|
4 sole filets (or white fish of your choice)
Salt, to taste
½ cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
Canola oil, for frying
Lemon wedges, for serving
Citrus Butter Sauce
½ cup white wine
2 tbsp chopped shallots
1 sprig fresh thyme
¼ cup heavy cream
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
6 large carrots, peeled
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Cast iron pan
- For the glazed carrots, slice the peeled carrots, on the diagonal, into 1/2" thick slices.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger and carrots. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until the ginger has softened.
- Stir in the soy sauce and honey, season with pepper, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until the carrots have softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- To make the citrus butter sauce, place the white wine, shallots, and thyme in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until reduced by about half.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the orange, lime, and lemon juices. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Fry the Fish
- To prepare the fish, heat the canola oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet, until about 350-375°F.
- Pat the fish filets fry and season with salt.
- Dredge the filets in the flour, then egg, then the breadcrumbs. Shake off any excess then fry until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Spoon the citrus butter sauce over the fish and serve with lemon wedges and the glazed carrots.