|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 25 mins||COOK TIME: 50 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins|
Traditional Greek moussaka made with a hearty, tomato-lamb sauce and topped with a cheesy, gluten-free béchamel sauce. Similar to lasagna and a great way to get the kids to try eggplant!
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs ground lamb
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp white pepper
1 ½ cups white wine
- Slice the eggplant into about 1/4” thick slices. Place on a large baking sheet and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Let stand for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the meat sauce, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion for about 3 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the garlic and continue sautéing for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb, increase heat to medium-high, and sauté for about 15 minutes, until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- For the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk then bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Remove from heat and fold in 2 tbsp of the parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a large cast iron skillet (or casserole dish).
- Layer half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the skillet.
- Spoon half of the meat sauce over the eggplant.
- Layer the remaining eggplant slices into the skillet and top with the remaining meat sauce.
- Whisk the lightly beaten egg into the béchamel sauce and evenly spread the mixture over the meat sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.