|YIELDS: 10 Servings||PREP TIME: 45 mins||COOK TIME: 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 15 mins|
It's time to kick the boxed stuff to the curb! Chef Marc Drucker walks us through his easy-to-make mac and cheese recipe. Creamy, cheesy goodness with a crisp, buttery, breadcrumb topping. The ultimate comfort food!!
2 cups panko bread crumbs
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 tbsp + 1 tsp. table salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp mustard powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
5 cups milk (whole is preferred)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the macaroni and 1 tbsp. salt; cook until the pasta is tender.
- Drain the pasta and set aside in a colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, pour the milk into a small saucepan and gradually warm over medium/medium-low heat.
- In the now-empty Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium-high heat until foaming and lightly browned.
- Add the flour, mustard powder and cayenne pepper (if using) and whisk well to combine.
- Continue whisking until the mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the warm milk while whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil. (Mixture must reach a full boil to thicken.)
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and whisk in the cheeses and 1 tsp. salt. Continue whisking until the cheeses are fully melted.
- Stir in the pasta and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs and melted butter until well combined.
- Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve as a main dish or a side.