|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 35 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 4 hr 5 mins|
Dads Prime Rib Roast! This juicy, smoky, mouthwatering hunk of roast beef, makes you crave more every time! Usually this is front and center for any holiday recipe ideas, but you can make this all year long it's that good!
6 lbs prime rib, bone-in or out - it's up to you!
Coarsely ground black pepper
Lemon pepper (a little bit for some tanginess)
Italian seasoning (optional)
Chipotle powder (optional if you'd like to add a bit of heat and smokiness)
Bacon grease (rub on the cut ends to keep them from drying out)
Whole garlic cloves, peeled
Instant read thermometer
- Allow the roast to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour before seasoning and cooking.
- Combine all of the seasonings together in a small bowl. (No measurements for this, just eyeball it.)
- Coat the ends of the roast in bacon grease or butter to help seal them and prevent them from drying out.
- Using a paring knife, pierce the roast to make fingertip size holes. Stuff the peeled garlic cloves into the holes.
- Generously coat the roast in the seasoning mixture.
- Cook in a 250°F oven for 3-4 hours, or until desired level of doneness is reached:
- 115°F for rare, 125°F for medium-rare, 135°F for medium.
- You can do a quicker cook by putting the roast in a super hot over to brown it then turn it down to the 325°F range, but I prefer the longer cook method. Depends on how much time you have really. Longer cooking time at lower temp rewards with super juicy meat.
- Remove from the oven, cover lightly with foil, and allow to rest for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with the pan juices and enjoy!