|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 35 mins||COOK TIME: 3 hrs 30 mins||TOTAL TIME: 4 hr 5 mins|
6 lbs prime rib, bone-in or out - it's up to you!
Coarsely ground black pepper
Lemon pepper (a little bit for some tanginess)
Italian seasoning (optional)
Chipotle powder (optional if you'd like to add a bit of heat and smokiness)
Bacon grease (rub on the cut ends to keep them from drying out)
Whole garlic cloves, peeled
Instant read thermometer
- Allow the roast to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour before seasoning and cooking.
- Combine all of the seasonings together in a small bowl. (No measurements for this, just eyeball it.)
- Coat the ends of the roast in bacon grease or butter to help seal them and prevent them from drying out.
- Using a paring knife, pierce the roast to make fingertip size holes. Stuff the peeled garlic cloves into the holes.
- Generously coat the roast in the seasoning mixture.
- Cook in a 250°F oven for 3-4 hours, or until desired level of doneness is reached:
- 115°F for rare, 125°F for medium-rare, 135°F for medium.
- You can do a quicker cook by putting the roast in a super hot over to brown it then turn it down to the 325°F range, but I prefer the longer cook method. Depends on how much time you have really. Longer cooking time at lower temp rewards with super juicy meat.
- Remove from the oven, cover lightly with foil, and allow to rest for about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with the pan juices and enjoy!