|YIELDS: 4 Servings||PREP TIME: 20 mins||COOK TIME: 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 5 mins|
Crisp, juicy chicken thighs, sweet, tender carrots, and wild rice - This recipe is a family favorite and utilizes one of my favorite kitchen tools, the trusty cast iron skillet!
6 chicken thighs, with skin (bone-in or boneless, your choice)
6 thyme sprigs
1 rosemary sprig
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
Grand Marnier Carrots
1 lb baby carrots
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup brown sugar or honey
¼ cup Grand Marnier
1 tsp ground rosemary
¼ tsp cayenne pepper, adjust to taste
⅛ tsp Himalayan sea salt
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
1 cup wild rice
3 cups water
1 tbsp butter
Salt, to taste
Large cast iron skillet
Instant read thermometer
- Begin by preparing the wild rice: In a large saucepan, combine the wild rice and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the butter and season to taste with salt. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the chicken thighs, place the oven rack in the middle to upper third of the oven and preheat to 475°F.
- If necessary, rinse chicken thighs with cool water and pat dry with clean paper towels.
- Place the chicken thighs on paper towels, skin side down. Season (meat side up) with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place the chicken thighs, skin side down, into the skillet. (BE CAREFUL OF OIL SPLATTER.)
- Place the sprigs of thyme on top of the chicken thighs.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and roast (uncovered) for 8 minutes, until the skin is golden brown.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and flip the chicken thighs skin side up.
- Return the skillet to the oven and continue roasting for 5 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the chicken is roasting, place the baby carrots in a steamer and cook over high heat until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter starts to foam, add the steamed carrots, brown sugar (or honey), and Grand Marnier.
- Cook for 3 minutes then season with the rosemary, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. stir and cook for 7 minutes, or until glaze thickens.
- Serve the chicken thighs with the wild rice and carrots. Garnish with fresh rosemary and chopped parsley. Enjoy!