COCONUT MILK SOUP WITH CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM (TOM KHA KAI SAI HED)
|YIELDS: 2 Servings||PREP TIME: 10 mins||COOK TIME: 20 mins||TOTAL TIME: 25 mins|
Tom kha kai sai hed is a super popular Thai soup made of a rich and creamy coconut broth with chicken, mushrooms, and loads of authentic Thai seasonings like lemongrass, galangal, and tamarind juice.
2 pieces coriander root or 2 tsp dried coriander
2 inches lemongrass
1 inch galangal (can be found at most International markets or substitute ginger root)
2 pieces fried bird’s eye chili
½ tbsp fried garlic
½ tbsp fried shallot
¾ cup coconut milk
⅓ cup chicken stock
2 oz thinly sliced chicken breast
1 oz mushrooms
1 piece coriander root, crushed or 1 tsp dried coriander
2 pieces shallot, crushed
3-4 pieces bird’s eye chilies, crushed
½ stem lemongrass, cut on an angle and crushed
1 inch galangal, sliced into 5 or more pieces (can be found at most International markets or substitute ginger root)
1 kaffir lime leaf, hand torn into pieces (fresh leaves can be found at most International markets or substitute about 1 tsp of lime zest)
1 tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp tamarind juice
½ tsp lime juice
Hot chili oil, for garnish
Mortar and pestle or small food processor
- Combine all ingredients for the paste in a mortar and pestle or small food processor and pound (or pulse) until a paste is formed.
- Add the chicken stock to a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the coriander root, shallot, bird’s eye chili, lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaf and continue boiling until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and return to a boil. Add the chicken breast and mushroom and simmer for a few minutes, until the chicken is half cooked.
- Stir in the fish sauce and tamarind juice. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Remove the coriander root before serving.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with some hot chili oil and garnish with some coriander leaves. Serve hot.