|YIELDS: 8 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 15 mins||TOTAL TIME: 30 mins|
Join Chef Marc as he prepares his simple but delicious Coconut Cream Pie Recipe with Jason. One of the most incredible pies you will make, a super simple recipe.
1 ½ cups finely ground animal crackers
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened, shredded coconut
6 tbsp melted butter
1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk
1 ½ cups 1 1/2 cups whole milk
½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
¾ cup + 1 tbsp sugar, divided
5 egg yolks
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- To prepare the crust, combine the ground animal crackers, sugar, and coconut in a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Press into an 8 or 9-inch pie pan and bake at 375°F for 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Combine the coconut milk and whole milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the coconut and 2 tbsp sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and 1 tbsp sugar together until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch to the egg yolks and mix well.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and slowly mix a bit of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- Whisk in another small ladle of the hot milk mixture then pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and return to heat.
- Continue whisking until the mixture has thickened and easily pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard into your prepared pie crust, cover with Saran wrap, and refrigerate.
- To prepare the whipped cream, place the heavy cream in an ice cold metal bowl.
- Whip with a hand mixer until it begins to thicken.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream onto the cooled custard and return the pie to the fridge.
- Add 1 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut in a dry pan over medium heat and cook until lightly toasted.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the pie and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!