|YIELDS: 8 Servings
|PREP TIME: 15 mins
|COOK TIME: 20 mins
|TOTAL TIME: 35 mins
Crispy, cinnamon-sugary churros from scratch with chocolate dipping sauce! You just need a few simple ingredients and about 30 minutes!
1 cup water
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 ½ tbsp sugar
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (for gluten-free, use Cup4Cup)
1 large egg, room temperature
Vegetable oil for frying
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the chocolate sauce, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the cream comes to a gentle simmer, remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and whisk until smooth.
- To make the churros, combine the water, butter, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, slowly stir in the vanilla and flour using a wooden spoon and reduce heat to low. Continue stirring until the mixture forms into a ball. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- After the mixture has cooled slightly, add the egg and stir until well combined.
- Heat several inches of vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pot until it reaches 375°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Transfer the churro dough to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and carefully pipe about 2 1/2" of dough into the hot oil (use kitchen shears to cut the dough). Do about 3-4 churros at a time so you don't overcrowd the pan.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on the paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Immediately sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar to ensure that it sticks. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Serve warm with the chocolate sauce and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from: Spend with Pennies