|YIELDS: 6 Servings||PREP TIME: 15 mins||COOK TIME: 45 mins||TOTAL TIME: 1 hr|
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 cup diced red onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup diced carrots
14 oz chopped whole tomatoes with juice
½ chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and chopped, with 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
3 cups water
1 tbsp cocoa powder
30 oz pinto beans (2 cans), drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves + extra for garnish
1 pinch grated bittersweet chocolate
3 thinly sliced scallions, for serving
½ cup 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the ground turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cinnamon and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until all the water evaporates from the turkey and it's sizzling.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until the onion has softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, chipotle pepper, water, and cocoa powder. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Stir in the beans and cilantro and continue cooking for 15 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, top with sour cream, grated chocolate, cilantro, and sliced scallions.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from: Cook Yourself Thin